Friday 10 January 2014

Layout Design Final crit Feedback:

In preparation for the final crit, I printed off an almost completed double page spread which involved Christ the Redemeer, a black background and a lot of lorem ipsum body text.
 I asked certain questions to prove an answer which I could build my design from, I asked:

1.The final spread will be in B&W, do you think this/the black background works?
2.Aerial is my current font, any recommendations of 'Christian'/nature fonts to use?
3.Should I stick with this style/trend in my final design?

The questions I asked I feel cover all the elements of this page, the Black background, the B&W imagery, the font, the layout and the style of the piece. 
 Feedback:
  1. Like the white text on top of the black background, give a serious tone, it works. 
  2. Aerial is simple and functional, works well for large bodies of text
  3. Style is serious and informative, would benefit from colours and more white space. Large bodies of text are overwhelming.
  1. White on black is nice. Colour elsewhere, in the photos. Too monochrome atm.
  2. Font works. Contemporary and clear.
  3. More black space and switch up the layout..
  1. More minimal for maximum effect.
  2. Times new roman reflects christianity, old fashioned.
  3. Grid system could be changed. 4 columns per page.
  1. White and black gives it a formal tone.
  2. Traditional font which represents Christianity would work.
  3. Colour somewhere else. Text is overwhelming.
  1. The black is too dark, surely choose white. Doesn't fit the topic.
  2. Play around with spacing and margins.
  1. Text stands out, make the images stay good quality.
  2. Try a roman font.
  3. Requires subtle changes such as text placement, image composition.
  1. The black will need consistent balance with white images.
  2. Feeling of non-bias and learning.
  3. Black and white links good + evil, contrasting opinions, it works with Christianity.
Conclusion
From the criticismal feedback I have received, I have discovered that the audience feel my Black and white layout works well, aslong as I keep a theme of using bright white images, or even using colour images in the publication.
I have been informed by some that the Aerial font works, it suggests non bias and learning where others claim a Roman font would represent the cause better, something I could experiment with.
The layout must be changed from 2 columns to 4 per A4 size as this will break up the large body of text.

I feel I have benefitted from this final crit, and the questions that I asked have given me the knowledge to create a series of double page spreads which work effectively as a set, and explain the cause to a respectable level.
My choice of font has been questioned, but that is something I can further experiment with in an attempt to make the product as fit for purpose as it most possibly can be.