Thursday 16 January 2014

Different types of t shirt research:

I have chosen to research different t-shirt styles which are popular and trendy at the moment, to get the best advantage when designing my own t shirt range.
V neck
V neck T shirts can be seen as popular in the teenage market, but they generally don't contain much design work on the face of the shirt,  for this reason I don't feel it would be in my best interests to create a design which made use of a V neck t shirt as the basis of what i'd be designing and potentially printing on.
Oversized
Over sized t shirts are very popular at the moment, and are about to become very trendy in high street stores. They have gained their popularity from hip hop artists such as A$AP Rocky and Kanye West making them trendy.
They tend to make use of large graphics on the front, and they get their characteristics from flowing down longer than a t shirt would, almost to mid thigh length.
I feel due their current popularity, an oversized t shirt could be a good thing to design, and if they were to be printed and sold, they could be successful. 
Scoop cut
Scoop cuts and V neck t shirts are very similar in the sense that they make use of block colour and rarely display large graphic images.
In this instance they can make use of simple patterns or small logos on the chest.
V neck 
V neck T shirts are something that many men make use of to show their physique, they generally aren't something which holds a large amount of graphic, as they tend to be plain and make use of just one solid colour.

I don't specifically think V neck t-shirts would be the ones which I would use to represent the charity, as they are not known for containing large graphic images and are not particularly trendy to teenagers.
Polo
Polo shirts tend not to have much graphics on the from of the garment, and usually are found with a small logo located on the left hand side of the chest.
The collar and the buttons found on a polo shirt make it slightly more formal than ones without, and sometimes they are used to represent sports such as tennis, golf or polo.

In aspect to me designing my t shirts, I don't think a polo shirt would be entirely appropriate, depending on the print/design I would be intending to put on it. I could create a small logo to go on the chest, but I don't feel polo shirts reflect the message I'm trying to convey.
Pocket t
Pocket t shirts are stylish and in trend at the moment, and make use of a small and sometimes very detailed pattern where the pocket of the t shirt is (sometimes in a different material to the cotton based shirt).

I love the use of the small pattern in a pocket shirt, and feel when designing the mock ups for my shirts, I could consider pocket t's and put a very detailed picture in there which could contrast against a black background.

Pocket t shirts are also very trendy at the moment, so I feel in a larger sense, they could sell well and represent something that teenagers would spend their money on.

Conclusion
From this research into various types of T shirts, I have concluded that creating a pocket t shirt and also an oversized one would be the way to go and the best two garments to design. I feel these two types would potentially sell the most to a teenage target market, and that would be the reason why I would create them.

From this research I will find the best religious imagery that would work on my T-shirt designs and create mock up ideas to what my final t shirts would look like.