Tuesday 25 March 2014

Presentation and Proposal of my Artist's book:

Beginning slide, What is a publication.
I started by researching and explaining what a publication is, due to the fact I was about to propose the publication which I was to design myself. 
I answered various questions to give me a foothold to the boundaries of a publication and the limits in which I could go to when designing for this brief.
I began by opening my idea and explaining what my essay covered, and how I was going to make it relevant, in context and have a connection to the publication I am to create. 
I opened with a description of Art Deco in the sense which I wanted to cover it, and the rule which is that 'Form comes over function' in relation to art deco style art work.

This was going to be the basis of my publication, the fact that form comes over function, I stressed this in my presentation, to show how my book was going to be solely going down the aesthetic route, and barely serves a function other than as a collectable or 'coffee table book'

I proceeded to explain the methods in how I would make my publication be based around the fact that form comes over function, and explained the stock I proposed to use, the binding method and the format of my piece. Foil blocking was something which I was interested in, and something which I felt could be used to optimise the Art deco movement, in a paper craft form.
I explained how it would have a function which would be to explain the timeline of the Art Deco movement to people who were unaware, but that as an introductory stage, where the real target audience would be readily existing fans of Art Deco, and people whom collected lavish, high end Artist's books.
The book could be applied to a fan of History and not just Art Movements, to give the publication a broader platform.

The feedback that I received about my presentation was that I could research into Rennie Mackintosh's type, and also find ways to execute a layout of which form does come over function, for example the type setting is based around the aesthetics rather than where it would be most useful on the page.