Monday 3 February 2014

Single's research: Massive attack - Karmacoma

"It’s a huge honour for us to work with Massive Attack, a band who visual output has been as important to us as their music. Karmacoma was a single from their second album Protection released in 1995."
"Massive Attack is an English musical group from Bristol consisting of Robert "3D" Del Naja and Grant "Daddy G" Marshall, formed in 1988. The duo are considered to be progenitors of the trip hop genre."

Lyrics:
Tricky 

You sure you want to be with me I've nothing to give Won't lie and say this lovin's best Leave us in emotional peace Take a walk, taste the rest No, take a rest 

3D 

I see you digging a hole in your neighborhood You're crazy but you're lazy No need to live in a lean-to Your troubles must be seen to seen to Money like it's paper with faces i remember I drink on a daily basis Though it seldom cools my temper It never cools my temper 

Tricky Walking through the suburbs though not exactly lovers You're a couple, 'specially when your body's doubled Duplicate, then you wait for the next kuwait 

(both)
 Karmacoma, jamaica' aroma (x4)

 3D 

You sure you want to be with me i've nothing to give Take a walk take a rest taste the rest Take a walk take a rest taste the rest Take a walk take a rest a taste of rest 
Tricky 

Don't want to be on top of your list Phenomenally and properly kissed We overcome in sixty seconds With the strength we have to together But for now, emotional ties they stay severed When there's trust there'll be treats And when we funk we'll hear beats 

(both) 

Karmacoma, jamaica' aroma (x4) 3D Deflowering my baby, are you my baby mate I must be crazy, see i'm swazy Digging a hole in your neighborhood You're crazy but you're lazy, must be lazy Tricky Don't wanna on top of your list Monopoly and properly kissed 
3D 

Deflowering my baby, are you my baby mate My baby Deflowering my baby, are you my baby mate I must be crazy, you must be lazy 
(both) Karmacoma, what?, jamaica aroma (x4)"

The tone of the voices in the song make it so that the lyrics merge into one, and it's more of a feeling/backing that, than something in which is vocally strong. 
The song has various levels which it manages to put the listener on, and it appears if there is a story to be told, when listening. 

In the lyrics there are lots of different mental imagery which come to mind, which aren't deciphered when listening to the song alone.

This is the first Time I have heard Massive Attack's music, and in the sense of this song, I'm not particularly impressed. 

Tone, instrumental and backing track:
The tone of the track leaves an open feeling the listener which is intriguing, but I don't feel the lyrics come across by the vocalists, so there is something left to be desired.

It seems as if when the vocalists reach the title/chorus of the track " Karmacoma, jamaica' aroma", the backing track changes and amplifies into something more, as what the lyrics are describing is a feeling of ' Karmacoma'.

Evaluation
I do not like this song, the backing track or the lyrics involved, for this reason It is far from my first choice as the track which I would like to create a vinyl 7" record sleeve for.