Wednesday 30 October 2013

Further Research into Tom: Music Interests

I believe that people's musical preference would (somewhere) represent figments of their own personality, for this reason I have chosen to research into Tom's Musical preferences. 
From conversing with Tom about the music and bands that he is interested in, I have managed to collect some typography relating to these bands. 

 From the bands Tom told me he likes, I found typographic imagery for Joy Division and also Death in vegas, Joy Division's typeface is very clean cut and legible, where as Death In Vegas' is script like, and I suspect is based around the tradition "Welcome to Vegas" Signage.
Tom claims a script font wouldn't necessarily represent him, and I agree with that.


Joy Division's typeface differs here from the example shown before due to the the use of a serif typeface, it looks a lot more clean cut.
Radiohead are represented four different times here, each the same, sans serif font, but used in different ways, such as the neon style one which appears as an electro genre, in comparison to the formal, calm and collected appearance which the other fonts portray.
Massive Attack's typography instantly signifies David Carson's work to me and specifically Ray Gun magazine, I find it a very effective form of typography, although I wouldn't initially say it represented Hip hip genre.
Finally, Arcade Fire's type face which makes different use of a font with a thicker line weight and one that contrasts that choice.

Tom's choice of music preference have given me an insight into what entertains him and the genres of music that he is interested in, this will aid me in designing a typeface for him.