Thursday 12 December 2013

Secondary research into foil blocking:

From the feedback received in the interim crit surrounding the influence I took from Macklemore's The Heist album, I was informed that I should research Foil blocking techniques as they can look rather elegant and high end. 
The Heist:
I love the use of the gold typeface against the solid, black leather found on The Heist's album cover. I feel the dark, black leather texture sets a really strong tone, and the gold on this brings out a sense of classiness and wealth.
Macklemore's The Heist uses a Serif font in upper case to show dominance and power, It has been suggested by my crit group that I make use of Uppercase in my foil blocking experiments also. 
Watch the throne:
The Heist album makes me think of Jay Z's watch the Throne album cover which also makes use of black and gold, and a very stylish and elegant looking album cover.
Jay Z's album cover uses a Gothic font in uppercase to stand out and show give an authoritarian feel to the case. The Great Gatsby:
The two album covers I have shown also lead me down the route of the modern day Great Gatsby film posters, which creates a very refined and sophisticated mood, which reflects the film accurately, as it is based around the socialites based in early 20th America.
The poster makes use of a distinguished gold finish, and a silver foiled art deco style font in uppercase, where just the character's Surname is in the deco style font, and 'The Great' is in a gothic font, of a lower point size, to show hierarchy of type. 

Although I love this film poster series and it appeals to me very much, I do see it a rather 'over kill' and over the top when it comes down to elegance, and feel some may see this as tacky. 
The typeface really jumps out to me, but I feel on my picture frame, using an Art Deco font could set the wrong tone and feel.